Different Types of Leave available to central government employees and a brief description of each leave.
1. Earned Leave:
2. Half Pay Leave:
3. Commuted Leave:
4. Leave Not Due:
5. Maternity Leave:
6. Paternity Leave:
7. Study Leave:
8. Extra Ordinary Leave:
9. Casual Leave:
10.Child Care Leave:
12.Vacational Department Staff Leave:
13: Special Disability Leave:
14. Child Adoption Leave:
1. Earned Leave:The credit for earn leave will awarded at a rate of 15 days on the 1st of January and 1st of July every year. It can be accumulated up to 300 days in addition to the number of days for which encashment has been allowed along with LTC. Maximum of 180 days at a time can be availed in the case of Earned Leave. Some exceptions are also there.
Earned leave exceeding 180 days but not exceeding 300 days at a time may be granted to Group 'A' and Group 'B' officers, if at least the quantum of leave in excess of 180 days is spent outside India, Srilanka, Bangladesh, Nepal , Pakistan , Bhutan Burma. This leave may be taken at at time upto 300 days as leave preparatory to retirement.
2. Half Pay LeaveHalf pay leave is calculated at 20 days for each completed year of service. For eg, if you are in service for 2 years , you will be having a total of 40 days of half pay leave. The service inculdes periods of duty and leave including extraordinary leave with or without MC. Half pay leave can be availed with or without MC(Medical Certificate). From 1st January 1986, half pay leave is credited in advance at the rate of 10 days on the 1st of January and 1st of July every year.
3.Commuted Leave:Commuted leave not exceeding half the amount of half-pay leave due can be taken on medical certificate. Up to a maximum of 90 days can be taken during the entire service without medical certificate where such leave is utilized for an approved course of study certified to be in university interest.
It can be taken up to a maximum of 60 days can be granted to a female employee in continuation of maternity leave without medical certificate and upto a maximum of 60 days can be granted without medical certificate to a female employee with less than two living children, on adoption of a child less than one year old. Commuted leave may be granted at the request of the employee even when earned leave is due to him.
4. Leave Not DueLeave not due is granted when there is no half-pay leave at credit and the employee requests for the grant of Leave Not Due. Temporary officials with one year’s service and suffering from TB, Leprosy, Cancer or Mental illness may also be granted LND if the post from which the official proceeds on leave is likely to last till his return.
It is granted only medical certificate if the leave sanctioning authority is satisfied that there is a reasonable prospect of the employee returning to duty on its expiry. It may be granted without medical certificate in continuation of maternity leave. and may be granted without medical certificate to a female employee with less than two living children, on adoption of a child less than one year old. The amount of leave should be limited to the half-pay leave that the employee is likely to earn subsequently.
Leave not due during the entire service is limited to a maximum of 360 days and due will be debited against the half-pay leave that the employee may earn subsequently.
5. Maternity LeaveMaternity leave is granted to women government employees.
1) Pregnancy: 180 days – Admissible only to employees with less than two surviving children.
2) Miscarriage/abortion (induced or otherwise): Total of 45 days in the entire service. However, any such leave taken prior to 16.6.1994 will not be taken into account for this limitation. Admissible irrespective of number of surviving children. Application to be supported by a certificate from a registered medical practitioner for NGOs and from AMA for GOs.
The materntiy leave is not debited to leave account and full pay is granted. It cannot be combined with any other leaves and counts as service for increments and pension.
6. Paternity LeaveA male employee with less than two surviving children may be granted Paternity Leave for a period of 15 days during the confinement of his wife. During the period of such leave he shall be paid leave salary equal to the pay drawn immediately before proceeding on leave. Paternity Leave shall not be debited against the leave account and may be combined with other kind of leave as in the case of Maternity Leave.
7. Study LeaveStudy leave may be granted to all government employees with not less than five years’ service for undergoing a special course consisting of higher studies or specialized training in a professional or technical subject having a direct and close connection with the sphere of his duties as a civil servant.
The course for which the study leave is taken should be certified to be of definite advantage to govt from the point of view of public interest and that particular study should be approved by the authority competent to grant leave.
The official should submit a full report on the work done during study leave. Maximum of 24 months of leave is sanctioned. In the case of CHS officers 36 months of leave can be granted at a stretch or in different spells.
Study leave will not be debited to the leave account and may be combined with other leave due.
Study leave is not granted for studies outside India if facilities are available in India and to an official due to retire within 3 years of return from the study leave.
8. Extra Ordinary LeaveExtraordinary leave is granted to a Government servant when no other leave is admissible or when other leave is admissible, but the Government servant applies in writing for extraordinary leave.
Extraordinary leave cannot be availed concurrently during the notice period, when going on voluntary retirement and EOL may also be granted to regularize periods of absence without leave retrospectively.
9. Casual LeaveIn a calendar year eight days of casual leave is permissible.
Casual leave is not a recognized form of leave and is not subject to any rules made by the Government of India. An official on Casual Leave is not treated as absent from duty and pay is not intermitted.
(i) Casual Leave can be combined with Special Casual Leave/vacation but not with any other kind of leave.
(ii) It cannot be combined with joining time.
(iii) Sundays and Holidays falling during a period of Casual Leave are not counted as part of Casual Leave.
(iv) Sundays/public holidays/restricted holidays/weekly offs can be prefixed/suffixed to Casual Leave.
(v) Casual Leave can be taken while on tour, but no daily allowance will be admissible for the period.
(vi) Casual Leave can be taken for half day also.
(vii) Essentially intended for short periods. It should not normally be granted for more than 5 days at any one time,
except under special circumstances.
(viii) LTC can be availed du ring Casual Leave.
(ix) Individuals appointed and joining duty during the middle of a year may avail of Casual Leave proportionately or to the full extent at the discretion of the Competent Authority.
10. Child Care LeaveWoman employees having minor children may be granted Child Care Leave by an authority competent to grant leave for a maximum period of 730 days (2 years) during their entire service for taking care of up to two children., whether for rearing or to look after any of their needs like examination, sickness, etc.
Conditions for Child Care Leave
1. Child care leave shall not be admissible if the child is eighteen years of age or older equal to the pay drawn immediately before proceeding on leave.
2. It can be availed in more than one spell.
3. It can not be debited against the leave account.
4. It may be combined with leave of the kind due and admissible.
11. Hospital Leave:Hospital leave is admissible to Group 'C' employees whose duteis involve handling of dangerous machinary, explosive materials, poisonous drugs and perfomance of hazardous taks and to Group 'D' Employees.
Medical certificate from an authorized medical attendant is necessary for grant of this leave. This hospital leave may be combined with any other kind of leave due and admissible, provided total period of leave does not exceed 28 months.
12. Vacation Department Staff leave EntitlementThe leave entitlements of employees of Vacation Departments (ie departments where regular vacations are allowed during which those serving in them are permitted to be absent from duty) are the same as those serving in non-vacation Departments except in respect of 'earned leave'.
No earned leave will be admissible to a govt servant of a vacation Department in any year in which he avails of the full vacation. The vacation can be combined with casual leave.
13. Special Disability LeaveSpecial disability leave admissible to all employees when disabled by injury intentionally or accidentally inflicted or caused in or in consequence of the due performance of official duties or in consequences of official position. The disability above should have manifested within three months of the occurrence to which it is attributed and the person disabled had acted with due promptitude in bringing it to notice. The leave sanctioning authority, if satisfied as to the cause of the disability, may relax the condition and grant leave in cases where disability has manifested more than three months after the occurrence of its cause.
Special disability leave is also admissible when disabled by illness incurred in the performance of any particular duty, which has the effect of increasing liability to illness or injury beyond the ordinary risk attaching to the civil post held, under the same condition.This disability should be certified by an Authorised Medical Attendant to be directly due to the performance of the particular duty.
Maximum of 24 months of leave may be granted.
May be combined with any other leave.
Will count as service for pension.
Will not be debited to the leave account.
14) Child Adoption Leave:
Child adoption leave is granted to Female employees, with fewer than two surviving children on valid adoption of a child below the age of one year, for a period of 135 days immediately after the date of valid adoption.
Leave salary will be equal to the pay drawn immediately before proceeding on leave.
It may be combined with leave of any other kind.
Leave not debited against the leave account.
Share with the world !!